- This event has passed.
MISSIONARY RIDGE LOCAL
November 19, 2017 |Recurring Event (See all)
An event every week that begins at 3:00am on Sunday, Friday and Saturday, repeating until November 26, 2017 |
$7 - $11
An event every week that begins at 3:00am on Sunday, Friday and Saturday, repeating until November 26, 2017
Organizer: Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, Phone: 423.894.8028 http://www.tvrail.com
Categories: Children & Teens, Family Fun
55-minute experience on the Missionary Ridge Local includes:
- 6-mile round trip
- Tour guide providing local history throughout the experience.
- Crossing 4 bridges
- Passing through pre-civil war, horseshoe-shaped tunnel
- Historic turntable demonstration.
- A brief tour of train restoration shops.
Our most frequent service – Daily in season! Missionary Ridge Local trips begin at the Grand Junction Station and take passengers along one of the original railroad lines in Chattanooga, crossing four bridges and passing through pre-Civil War Missionary Ridge Tunnel, which was completed in 1858.
The train stops at East Chattanooga, allowing riders to see the locomotive rotating on a turntable and participate in a tour of the railroad restoration shop before re-boarding for the return trip. Round trip time is slightly less than an hour, a great train ride for kids.
The term “Local” refers to short line trains that were at one time a lifeline to the world from small towns around the nation. As the train rolls to a stop with the ground rumbling under your feet, you feel the mounting anticipation. The conductor calls the long-awaited signal: “All Aboard!” Excitement builds as passengers scurry to their seats. This was a regular occurrence 100 years ago…as it is today!
Buy Tickets at Chattanooga Grand Junction before each departure time – No Reservations Necessary!
Restroom facilities are available at our depots for Missionary Ridge Local passengers.
- Chattanooga Grand Junction restrooms are located within the depot next to the gift shop.
- East Chattanooga restrooms are located in the gray building on the left side crossing over the track 1 and 2 when walking towards the turn tablet. See map for layout.
- If an emergency, please find the train crew for help.
Chattanooga Events Calendar | Things to Do in Chattanooga This Weekend